Bella Italia – Carbonara
Bring a taste of Italy to your home from Bella Italia with this simple and delicious Carbonara recipe.
(Recipe serves 2)
|3 large free-range egg yolks|
|50g pecorino cheese (or use parmesan), plus extra to serve|
|150g diced pancetta|
|4 slices of crispy pancetta to garnish|
|Half a leek – washed and sliced|
|100ml whipping cream|
|3 dessert spoons of olive oil|
|Salt and black pepper|
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºc/fan 180ºc/gas mark 6.
- Put the egg yolks into a mixing bowl with grated Pecorino cheese (or Parmesan) and whipping cream, then mix well with a fork and put to one side.
- Cook the tagliatelle for 3 mins in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Season the leeks well with salt, pepper and 2 dessert spoons of olive oil.
- Transfer the seasoned leeks onto an oven tray and cover – cook in the oven for 10 mins (or until soft).
- Place the slices of pancetta onto an oven tray – cook in the oven for 5 mins (or until crispy).
- Meanwhile, heat one dessert spoon of oil in a pan, add the diced pancetta, stir occasionally and cook until crispy.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pan and remove from the heat.
- Drain the tagliatelle, add to the pan and bring back to the heat, season with salt and pepper, and coat the tagliatelle well in the sauce.
- Transfer the tagliatelle into two pasta bowls.
- Top the pasta with the leeks and two strips of crispy pancetta.
- Serve immediately with a grating of Pecorino (or Parmesan) and black pepper if desired.